Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may have or not read about the problems we are having with the average Fuel Consumption stuck at 29.9mpg. (If not I suggest you do).
When you go to collect your vehicle ask to take it for a 5 mile run and if it gets stuck on 29.9mpg - refuse to accept it until it is fixed. The dealer will not like this as he will have a car stuck in limbo without your money.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This!

There is a clause in the finance document that says you have inspected the vehicle. So if you sign BEFORE you drive, you have no comeback.

Having said that, I pointed the clause out to my dealer as I hadn't inspected the vehicle that day (I only drove past it as it was in the collection/hand over bay), for all I know there could be a massive scratch that wasn't there before, and he didn't know that clause was there!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, this is a solution. But, if you read all posts regarding the subject, you'll find out that you'll remain without the car for a loooong looong time since (as I recall saying some of forum members) Renaultadmittedthat this is an issue they're working on and as soon they will find an answer the owners that claimed to have the 29.9 bug will be noticed.Now, the real question is: will you spare yourself from the pleasure of driving a otherwise perfectly beautiful Captur or make a concession and enjoy the Captur while wait for a fix. Is the 29.9 issue that important? If the answer is "Yes", then do a test with it and refuse it and wait for a fix that will come God knows when. Or, wait for a different car that will arrive after many month.

I'm from Romania and I haven't got that issue. But even if I did, Iwould havetaken the car. Yes, driving a imperfect car is somehow "cutting your wings". But the car and driving experience compensate.

·
Registered
924 Posts
This issue only affects a small number of cars, and probably of a particular type. My 120TCe EDC does not have this problem. After all, it is only a metering problem, it does not affect the performance of the car, or its actual fuel consumption. The fuel gauge works, so you will not be in any danger of not knowing how much fuel is in the car.As has been pointed out Renault are working on a fix. This issue, will be fixed and the cars affected will be recalled at the appropriate time.

I believe that this issue is being raised out of all proportion. Like any forumappropriate consideration should be given to the issues raised here.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Interesting comment Crossbow..! Easy for you as you do not have a faulty car! Although, as you say, it is a minor fault, it is still a fault... Renault insist on continuing selling "faulty goods" knowingly..! What happened to the sale of goods act.! What does it say about Renault,s "quality control"..?.. If it is just a simple fault why have months passed without a fix.?
I believe that Renault are treating their customers with contempt. I have emailed the CEO Renault UK and been ignored.! I have emailed the CEO Renault France questioning their quality control, and the email, although acknowledged , was just passed to UK Customer Services to deal with.(I am already in weekly contact with them)
I believe that a lot more Capturs and Clios are affected than you think.
So, yes, a minor problem but affecting a lot of customers, and Renault DON'T CARE... that is an even bigger problem.
I, and others with problems on their Capturs, would appreciate your support......if we don't tackle Renault, and make our voice heard, God help you when you get a problem with your car..!

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have had dealings with Renault on two warranty faults on my car. The dealer, and in reflection Renault, have dealt with the issues, impeccably.
Faults and design issues are dealt with in an appropriate manner, giving appropriate priority. That is how it works in business.

Has the 29.9 issue reached the press? Perhaps that is a route that needs to be tried?

·
Registered
185 Posts
It wouldn't matter to me if the problem was the instant MPG, average MPH, fuel used ( not true anyway) and temp outside ( never correct ). The Average MPG is the one most people use and important because Renault claim such remarkable average MPG figures and we want to drive the most economical way.
I've had to do the good old fashioned way of setting the clock to zero after filling to first click, driving near to about a 1/4 of a tank or so and then filling up to first click again and seeing how much ltrs I've used to fill up to my miles and finding a ltrs to gallons converter.
Out of my first two fill ups, it's around 51-54 mpg with a bit of city and constant driving country/motorways and due to fill up now.
What I have noticed is that from a full tank, I do around 230miles and it's at 3/4 of a tank ( fantastic hey!!!) but then plummets to 1/4 of a tank in the next 200miles ( not fantastic). Renault customer services have said to pop it into a local dealer to check the gauge.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just to add to my last post.. If you have bought a mobile phone and the manufacturer claims that the bluetooth is good to pair with devices ( like music speakers) up to 50 metres but only pairs upto 1/2 a metre. The phone still works and makes calls, so does the bluetooth on the phone but its useless because the idea of bluetooth is being a distant from what your pairing with.

·
Registered
924 Posts
There have been plenty of threads on this forum covering both the true MPG and the fuel gauge anomaly. Makes interesting reading. Have a browse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been reading this post with interest as i have to wait till at least September for my new Mercury/black 1.5 dci Captur.

The suggestion of not accepting the car due to this minor issue is laughable, some people need to have a reality check.

I brought a new to the range Triumph motorcycle 2 years ago, lots of issues with them, always is with any new piece of equipment, all being rectified as and when a fix solution is identified.

I also work for the NHS in a lab, we have a multi million pound piece of equipment which is constantly
breaking down, needing software updates, and parts replaced, its the way it is.

No man made item is 100% reliable. and another thing every captur will eventually end up in the recycle bin, along with Mercs, Buggatti's, and baked bean tins.

·
Registered
924 Posts
tjjj2006 said:
... and another thing every captur will eventually end up in the recycle bin, along with Mercs, Buggatti's, and baked bean tins.

NOOOOOO!!!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So when you read the specs. of anything new you are going to buy, whether it is a razor blade or a £20K car and the manufacturer puts at the bottom - MAY NOT WORK AS DESCRIBED - THAT IS THE WAY IT IS!
You would be happy to go along with that, Doh! I don't think so.
Thuis is why we have the Trades description Act. It is supposed to do what it says on the can. I would not expect anything less, irrespective of how minor the fault, why compromise?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I too have fallen foul of the specification in brochures. The early Captur brochure says that all models were fitted with TPMS (tyre Pressure Monitor System), this was pointed out to me as a benefit, in which I was particularly interested; having had a TPMS save me from being stranded in the middle of nowhere with a flat tyre.
However, Capturs in the UK do not come with TPMS, on querying this; once I discovered that the car did not havethe feature, I was gently led to the small print of the brochure. So there is no come-back there either.

In my situation there was no solution. however, with the 29.9 issue at least you will know there will be a solution, sometime.

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
crossbow said:
I too have fallen foul of the specification in brochures.
Worked the other way round for me when I bought the Scenic; between ordering the car based on the brochure, and taking delivery, ABS and an uprated stereo became standard. The ABS was previously a £750 option IIRC

·
Registered
863 Posts
so we are expected to buy faulty goods then.but we will sort it once we got a fix.what a load of tosh.i don't expect to pay 17 thousand pound plus to have faulty goods.oh we are trying to sort it and we will let you know ok.i do not have this problem by the way but if I am paying that sort of hard earned I expext it to be good.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I also work for the NHS in a lab, we have a multi million pound piece of equipment which is constantly
breaking down, needing software updates, and parts replaced, its the way it is...quote...

I sincerely hope that the NHS is not paying for these faults to be fixed..! Who accepted this faulty machine..it should have been shut down until the manufacturer guaranteed a fault free machine..If ,as you say, oh never mind that's the way it is, and that's down to apathetic people like yourself, then that is probably why the NHS is in dire financial straits..!
Though I suppose the couldn't care less attitude leads to a stress free life..!

·
Registered
924 Posts
I think this thread has turned into a talking shop; which I suppose is what forums are about. Well I wait with bated breath for those that shout the loudest to do something about it.
On behalf of the little man, I thank you.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts