Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latest What Car has a group test Captur 0.9 v Ford Ecosport v new Yeti v Mitsubishi ASX. Captur is narrowly beaten by the Yeti overall but gets some great comments. Ford comes in a feeble 4th! Well worth a read if you get a chance

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Now if they had tested the 1.2 unit, it would have been a different case!...The Yeti uses a 1.2 turbo unit as its base!!
Like with like I would suggest...The Yeti has always been a quality contemder, with a lot going for it...but the styling of the Captur won me over!
I maintain that Skoda is an excellent choice in any of their cars and win hands down here in Poland.

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having owned both, though the Yeti had the spawnofthedevil 2.0 diesel lump, I can say hand on heart that the Captur is light years better. The Yeti has to be one of the most over-rated cars on the road with the most complacent and unhelpful set of dealers.

Trouble is that the UK motoring press seems incapable of criticising anything VAG throws at the market and the sheep just follow....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ythsie said:
Now if they had tested the 1.2 unit, it would have been a different case!...The Yeti uses a 1.2 turbo unit as its base!!
Like with like I would suggest...The Yeti has always been a quality contemder, with a lot going for it...but the styling of the Captur won me over!
I maintain that Skoda is an excellent choice in any of their cars and win hands down here in Poland.
If Renault do the decent thing and introduce a manual 120tce then that might be possible as the test is manual petrol small crossovers - the Captur comes out well but the weak area appears to be performance for the 0.9tce engine, adding a larger engine for £1,000-ish would probably have changed the outcome. To be fair, Ford have been caught napping by the small crossover market and the EcoSport is a car designed for the Indian sub-continent that they've tried to 'Europeanise' with limited success.

As I say, a 120tce manual would make the difference.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Martyn I have to disagree with you! I have a mate who has the Yeti you speak about and heaps great praise on the unit. I have to be honest and say that I was a hair breath away from buying a Yeti 1.2...the reason I didn't?...very simple....I couldn't get an auto box demonstrator in Poland!
Automatics in lower priced cars, just do not sell here! Consequently I held back and along came the Captur. It stole my heart away and has a brilliant auto box.
I still maintain that the Yeti is a good car..and if I could have afforded it, I would have gone for the 2.0 litre diesel with 4x4. The price of it was considerably more than the 1.2 unit, and I couldn't justify the extra cost! The engine is an excellent unit with huge potential for chipping!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I also took a long hard look at the Yeti as it fitted my requirements, i.e. compact SUV, auto and petrol in that order, however my better half found its look too utilitarian and outdated and as the car was primarily for her, I didn't even bother to have a test drive.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
A bit OOT but FYI I also had a close look at the Opel (Vauxhall) Mokka, good lookingSUV, however the auto gearbox goes only with the diesel power pack (at least over here, I believe you can have auto and petrol in the UK) so I tested it for the **** of it. Believe you me I handed it back with relief as I had the distinct impression of driving a five ton truck.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
sasajak...I maintain a 1.2 Captur would have won...be it an auto or the manual..that they do not make!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Julian you'd be surprised how good the 1.2 petrol and diesel Yeti are! They ticked all the boxes for me re size and practicality.
Saying that there was some doubt about the VAG DSG boxes which have a mixed reputation and they CHANGED the styling on the new models and got rid of one of the things that made it look quirky...ROUND FRONT LAMPS!
I have to agree it's not the pretiest car..but reputation wise, is good and holds its value fairly well!
A NO! from my lady as she wanted automatic...and if you can't show a demonstrator across the WHOLE country, then no wonder auto boxes are not popular here!!
Not so long ago it was 'horse power' and a lot of older Mercs, Beamers and VW Passats rule the roost apart from newer Skodas!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ythsie, I never had a VAG car nor have I tested one but I'm quite prepared to take your word for it regarding the Yeti, it ticked all the boxes for me as well bar that of my good lady's taste. It doesn't mean that I necessarily agree with her on that point as the Yeti's look reminds me fondly of my Freelander which I liked very much.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I didn't at the time, but now I would entertain some reservation concerning the VAG DSG box which seems to disappoint a number of users. Fortunately our Capturs are equipped with a GETRAG box, a brand which has been chosen by Porsche, BMW, Volvo, Ford and a number of others including even Audi and VW for some of their models !I must say that I don't much care either for the Yeti's new front styling which I think deprives it of its personality

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Glad you agree... I thought their update with corporate front made it plain..I just came from a Freelander as wel!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Frank Bullitt said:
This wasn't an under £16k test though!

I like the Yeti, and have owned a VAG product for 9 years and apart from a dicky crank speed sensor at 45k never had a problem (touch wood) but mrs FB can't stand 'em!
Funny that I've owned 2 VW group cars. They've been fab but I don't like the Yeti's looks and I don't see anything similar from Seat/VW etc. so it all boiled down to looks for me!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well a simple thread about a magazine article has certainly started off quite a debate! I've had a Yeti before and absolutely loved it. It had some really well thought through features like hooks in the boot for your shopping bags to stop them falling over and a plastic clip to keep car park tickets on the windscreen. I also really loved its quirky looks and agree the new square headlights have taken something away from that. That said I would've been tempted to have another if it wasn't for the huge difference in price and specification with the captur. Just hope that I love the captur as much!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yes Georgiegirl, the specification and 'freshness' of the Captur literally captured the sale from the Yeti!
Once I saw the preview of the new Yeti I was very disappointed...and they literally lost my sale.
So far, I don't regret it...although I feel the Yeti was more 'rugged and solid'.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Having read the WhatCar report as we were in the process of looking I was a bit concerned about the potential lack of power from the 0.9 TCe so before we ordered I asked for an extended test drive without the salesman which the dealer happily agreed to. OK, as I said elsewhere it's no ball of fire in terms of acceleration. but once I got it onto the M4 I had no problem getting a 9 on the digital speedo as the first digit (if you know what I mean) and the car only had 207 miles on it. I was also quite surprised by how refined the car was at that kind of speed and how stable it felt. That was sufficient for us.

I also remember back in the late 90s when my pride and joy, a first generation Volvo V40 had a power output of 90bhp which I always felt was quite sufficient. My wife is "down-powering" from a 122bhp Audi 1.4 petrol and she didn't really feel the car was lacking.

Amusingly when we visited the Skoda dealer during our travels she said she wouldn't be seen dead in a car called a "Yeti". Each to their own, I guess.Edited by: Perusal

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Interesting last comment....I suggested the Yeti to my daughter...and she said exactly the same!!
It must be a 'woman' thing!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts