Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read the latest What Car magazine and they are currently in the process of testing the Captur. After 6 weeks, the maps were not loading up and could not be found and 4 weeks later the Eco mode readings are giving wrong data - travelling 81.5 miles in 0 minutes.
Has anyone else experienced these issues? I'm hoping its not a common problem but I guess only time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
2,380 Posts
..and What Car looked after their Captur so well that they drove it into a kerb and broke the front suspension on one side, leaving it as a VOR (Vehicle Off Road) for a few weeks! I don't think that motoring journalists are very kind to their cars and I wonder how many of them actually read the manuals to find out how things are supposed to work

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yes IvorEtower I agree! I have been keeping an eye on the test and as you say a lack of winter tyres meant that they damaged the suspension on it!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
None of the motoring press will ever be kind to French cars, even if it's brilliant. Our other car is a Citroen C5 which would rival BMW etc for build quality and refinement, yet the motoring press say its rubbish. If it's not Ford or VW group or German, they'll tell you it's crap... Read all their reviews with a pinch of salt...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,
Since I'm actually the one running this test car, I thought I'd chip in. IvorETower's post certainly made interesting reading.

If you've been reading *all* the updates on our Captur, you'll note that we think it's rather good, actually.In our 2014 awards, the 0.9 TCe version won the price point in the Small SUV category.

Anyway, regarding the faults that we've highlighted, I thought I'd clarify where things stand. The 'Maps not found' error message was fixed by a judicious stop/start/stop again/card out/card in/start procedure. This was noted in the report.

The Eco coach issue seems to have been fixed by the latest software update, but there was undoubtedly a problem with it beforehand. The fact that it displayed this readout has nothing to do with reading a manual or not:
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVkD1HFIEAAwapX.jpg

However, I still maintain there are issues with the infotainment system that need to be checked out. The latest problem is that the volume control often defaults to sat-nav audio rather than radio - even when the sat-nav isn't even activated.

But let's set all this aside for a moment - this is still a great value small SUV, with impressive space and practicality, a genuinely efficient 1.5 diesel (we're seeing 50mpg in std mode, and around 57mpg with Eco mode on - and I know plenty of buyers are beating that).

To say that we just 'don't like Renaults' without reading all of my updates (ie, just cherry picking small criticisms) doesn't really give an accurate reflection, does it?

As ever, if anyone wants to chat to me about our Captur (or their own) feel free to get in touch. My email is displayed clearly in all our long-term updates.

Ed

·
Registered
209 Posts
Tyrfelin said:
Easily said but Whatcar DOES seem to always say how wonderful the Golf and Focus are! Sorry!
One can only tell it like they see it. I read a range of reports from different publications to gauge an average view. A friend of mine has a 63 reg Golf GTD and has had no end of problems with it but it's a fabulous car to be driven in and the equipment levels are staggering (but then they should be at £26k for a Golf!!!!).

Fords do drive very well, I personally don't like the way they look and think the interiors are a mess and cheap looking, which is why we don't don't have one.

WhatCar rates my own car, a Mazda CX5, very highly, but criticise the wind and road noise, which I think is quite unfair. Then again each to their own.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Tyrfelin said:
Mazdas are always highly thought of
Being on my 3rd MX5 and 1st CX5 I can confirm that they are wonderfully well engineered cars (though older MX5s can suffer from rust in certain areas) and that they both drive well and are reliable.

The MX5 owners club is also very good, expect to see about 1500 MX5s at Brooklands on April 29th.

Unfortunately the dealers are another story altogether, very variable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just joined
I have a diamonique media nav with an upgrade to an r-link system and protection pack. I picked the car up last Saturday and quite honestly I am not impressed. I have a lot of faults to report, 1 navigation keeps loosing maps and a message saying "no sd card mounted" comes up. 2 no reversing light comes on when in reverse however the front fog lights come on when I put the car in reverse gear ! 3 today my alarm kept going off every two minutes upsetting the neighbours 4 fog light switch on and off intermittently when switched on
I have taken the car back to the dealer today as the alarm was a nightmare. Any advice would be good

Steve
Edited by: stclerk

·
Registered
924 Posts
The fog lights are designed to come on when in reverse. There should be one reversing light.
Can't respond about the other "features", as my car does not have an alarm. Didn't want one fitted as if it kept going off it would annoy me and the neighbours.

I don't have r-link, but despite the problems you, and others have mentioned, I think I would have preferred it to the MediaNav, as MediaNav does not have live traffic info on the satnav.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
338 Posts
stclerk, once you register and update your Rlink you may find it all improves - mine was similar until I updated it

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Steve,

I had an enormous number of problems with R-Link, most of which were tracked down to two separate causes: a faulty SD card and the fact that some muppet at the import centre had wired the front parking sensors incorrectly when they fitted the protection pack.

One other thing occurs to me: do you have a USB stick connected in addition to the SD card? I have found that when R-Link detects that a new USB stick has been inserted it will attempt to do a complete scan of all the media on it (presumably to read tag information from mp3 files and update its database), and this can, if, like me, you have a pretty full 32GB stick, take *forever*, during which time the USB I/O appears to take priority over, and completely overwhelm any SD card I/O, which leads to maps failing to load. Once this scan is complete, things settle down and the maps load pretty much straight away. It appears that the SD and USB devices share the same I/O controller, which doesn't seem to be the best piece of hardware design...

So, in summary, I'd get your dealer to check that all of the wiring is correct (particularly if you had anything fitted at the import centre rather than the factory), and that your SD card is OK.

Tony

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for that Tony,
On your front sensors where did they place the activation switch? Mine is under the r-link
The green light comes on and I get all the beeps as though it has activated but no sound when moving, I even had the wife bouncing around in front of the car

The reversing light isn't working and I had no idea that the fog lights came on when in reverse gear

I have left the car with the dealer and will call them in the morning I've only done 200 miles so want it back ASAP

SteveEdited by: stclerk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts