Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What crazy uk traffic laws do you know?

I’ll start you off. You are not allowed to pass a red traffic light even to let an emergency vehicle through, it carries a £100 fine and 3 points.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Confirmed - I let an ambulance through got the points but a fine less than than 100 but that was a while ago!
Taxis in Torquay used to have to carry a spare bale of hay from the days when the taxis were horse drawn it wasn't repealed until the 1980´s I think it was

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think failing to clear snow from the car roof is an offence. Also flashing other drivers to warn of a speed trap etc. ahead.

·
Super Moderator
2,337 Posts
I was aware of the law about taxis having to carry a bale of hay but did not know it had been repealed !

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have never understood why it is an offence to warn vehicles about speed traps. Surely it is a good thing? Vehicle slows down,less danger to other road users/pedestrians.
Another thing that I find ridiculous is the use of unmarked police cars on motorways to catch speeders. Nothing makes drivers slow down and drive with more care than a fluorescent battenburg. Shouldn't law enforcement be about prevention?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have never understood why it is an offence to warn vehicles about speed traps. Surely it is a good thing? Vehicle slows down,less danger to other road users/pedestrians.
Another thing that I find ridiculous is the use of unmarked police cars on motorways to catch speeders. Nothing makes drivers slow down and drive with more care than a fluorescent battenburg. Shouldn't law enforcement be about prevention?
Absolutely agree and I think the same argument has been tried in court. Bottom line must be revenue generation but the police argue that you are impeding their "operations" or something similar.

·
Super Moderator
2,337 Posts
It's quite bizarre....... you'd think that trying to stop someone breaking the law would be welcomed by the Police and legislators, but they get upset about it. Imagine if you saw someone tying to shoplift and warned them you had seen them sneaking goods into their bag.... and the law fined you for doing that !!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I imagine it prevents them from logging it in the solved crime log. A soft touch way of raising their figures against the abysmal clear up rate against "real" offences

1 - 9 of 9 Posts