Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,
Is anyone using a roof box? If so, what size? I've got a Thule 780 420 litre box that we use on our Megane Tourer, but I think that might be too big. Can't seem to find any info on recommended maximum sizes for roof boxes for the captur. Any suggestions / advice greatfuly received.
John.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There's no such thing as a maximum size, just load weight - the fixings in the box will adjust to align with your roof bars. What you might find is that a larger roof box looks odd, but it's not a technical issue to have a larger one - I used to put a monster on my A2 (480L from memory) which was positioned as far forward as possible so I could open the boot almost fully with the front casting a shadow over the bonnet! It only ever had clothes, baby bath and some other light stuff in it when FB junior was under a year old and we went on holiday - drove to France like that and never had an issue, it was full but never with heavy stuff - never liked the idea of packing stuff around him so it kept the cabin nice and clear.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Frank, that's what I was hoping for. I don't really want to buy another box for the Captur. Not so much from a cost point of view, more of a 'where to store them both when not in use' issue. :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Have a look and see if it will clear your aerial...I have a large roof box from a Freelander that was used for skis etc..and I have decided not to use it.
Franks quite right that you will be able to use your old one.
By the way, Renault have their own box in accessories.

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a quick measure up. My roof box is 196 cm in length. Looks like it will overhang at the front by almost half, so it's a no go I think. I'll give my dealer a ring in the morning, to see how much the Renault box is.
The frustrating thing is that I've got a small 250 litre halfords special that would be just right., but the key snapped off in the lick and it has defied all my efforts to get it out,
Thanks for the pic Blue.. I think you've put that up before.. looks like The Old Smithy car park at Godshill, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You should be able to change the lock on it my friend!
I wouldn't chance that kind of overhang!!

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
924 Posts
my Halford roof box mounts did not fit the renault roof bar I bought for the captur. I had to get new mounts and drill additional holes in the roof box before it would fit. So I recommend CAREFULL measuring to ensure all goes well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
crossbow said:
my Halford roof box mounts did not fit the renault roof bar I bought for the captur. I had to get new mounts and drill additional holes in the roof box before it would fit. So I recommend CAREFULL measuring to ensure all goes well.
Which halfords box do you have, Crossbow?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've measured the fixed points on the Captur against the holes in my 250 litre Halfords box. Looks like it should be ok. (famous last words) :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Barrowboy63,My Halfords box is a KAR-RITE 400 series. Its a 400l size with a max load of 50kg. It measures 95cm wide, 110cm long and 40cm high.

Being wide; the mounting bracket points were too far apart for theRenault bars, as the bars have sculpted ends which cut into the useable width of the bars. So I had to drill holes in the box base that were closer together than the original mounting holes. The distance between the bars was not aproblem, however.

Hope this is of use.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Crossbow. Hadn't thought about width Doh! But my 250litre box is only half width so it should be ok. I'll still get the tape measure out again though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, picked up the Renault roof bars this morning. Not the easiest of things to fit and the instructions are of the 'chocolate teapot' variety
.No matter how I try, I cant get the brackets to fit 'snugly'. They seem to be very gappy around the feet. Are yours like this Crossbow?And there were three self adhesive rubber pads included that I can find no reference to in the fitting instructions. Can understand why three either? Four maybe, if they had a purpose, Any ideas, again Crossbow?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ok folks. Honest opinions please. This is my Thule 780 420 litre roof box on my Captur on the Renault roof bars. Do you think it is too big or unsafe? There is slight overhang ove the front windscreen, but you can't see it from the drovers seat. It won't be heavily loaded. Just stuff like towels, wellington boots, shoes and coats. What to you think? will i get away with it?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It looks perfect! I wouldn't be worried...
Just don't take it out in strong winds as you'll soon feel it on such a light car!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Are you getting ready to escape the flooding? I have heard it is really bad, and the forecast is bad for the next week...with another phase of the bad weather hitting the UK.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha, I know it looks that way Ythsie. We are in a flood area but we seem to be OK so far, behind a £2billion flood defence scheme for the area that took two years to complete and finished in December.We'll see if it was money well spent. Thanks for your views on the roof box. I was worried as it looks so much bigger until you get it on the car.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not good enough Barrowboy, sorry, you should spray it oyster grey and as regards flooded areas, I wouldn't worry, you just have to perform a half roll over and you'll find yourself on the keel side of your roof box which definitelylooks very seaworthy when upside down !

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hope it won't come to that, Julian. And as for the box colour, it could be bright pink as long as it stays on the roof. I always worry that they are going to rip off as soon as i get on the motorway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts