Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
........when they fitted that Horn?

It's got to the worst I have ever heard, or should I say barely heard.

Has anyone changed it to something that actually makes a noise?

I spend 98% of my time either driving in London or on Dual carriageways surround by lorry drivers who sometimes change lane without properly looking
so for me a decent horn is essential

·
Registered
924 Posts
Used my horn for the first time today (1500 miles). A pedestrian crossed the road on the "red man" at the traffic lights. I soundedthe horn but hedidn't get out of the way, just waved and carried on across the road. I had to stop
. If the horn had been louder, he would have dropped his coffee when he jumped out of the way. Now that will NEVER do!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well , good news for you.It is quite easy to swap it for a double-tone Renault horn.The reason it sounds so badly is that it is just a single horn, high tone.Mine is now double with high - low tone.This is the link to the Spanish Captur forum (remember Capturs are 100% Spanish made) where I explain the DIY , so that you can see the pictures and even a sound file comparing both horns...you can see the difference by yourselves!

http://www.solocaptur.com/temas/brico-bocina-doble-seguimos-tapando-defectos.294/

To sum up, the horn is located behind the front grill, and you can access to it without removing the front bumper.You can use any Renault horn with the white connector in the picture to put it in the Captur, double ones usually found in the Lagunas and Espace models.If you go to the dealer it´ll surelly charge you more than 80 pounds for a new horn, so the other choice (mine actually) is to go to a scrapeyard to look for one.Horns usually last more than the lifetime of the car,so don´t worry about this.As far as the electric circuit, the Captur has a separated fuse for the horn which has enough capacity to deal with a single or double horn, not to worry either...hope this helps, regards

·
Registered
824 Posts
Personally Id rather avoid using the horn to vent anger Id rather flash and gesture to the offender

I had reason to use mine a couple of weeks back when a Merc cut me up on a roundabout........as soon as I pressed it I though "Ohh no thats pathetic!" I sort of snuggled down in the seat in embarrassment further up the road when I was alongside him at the lights...........if I can avoid it I wont use it again!

Thats good to know jabico thanks for posting that up

·
Registered
123 Posts
It ain't that hard - but do it on a warm summers day - or indoor ! You need to b end plastic without deforming or braking it !
After removing all screws under the bonnet...eh - all screws holding the top of the grill etc ;o)
The horn is on the right hand side in front of the radiator.
Gentlyn pry the plastic top sheet, You just removed the screws from - and find i.e. a block of wood to keep the opening....open. You only have two hands, so keeping that bugger open is a great help.
Either exchange it with a original horn - or replace it with a Claxon-type as I did.
Paid something like 10 $ for it - including shipping from mainland China to Copenhagen, Denmark - and as it is two horns with plenty of low tones and volume - it's lightyears better than the original.
Using "foreign" horns means that the original plug has to be cut, but if You are no stranger to a soldering iron - it's a fast (and better than original) fix.
Only grief is that the supplied mounting "arms" was so thin that I wouldn't use them - was afraid they would rattle against the radiator. Had an old mounting "bridge" for two horns lying around - from a Volvo. Just needed a little bending to accommodate the new tennants ;o)

So - a little fiddly with somewhat small access space (especially for my big hands), but absolutely a manageable DIY job for the home mechaninc.
And You'll never be embarrased to use your horn again ;o)

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Ours doesn't even have rear sensors, never mind front ones!Tend to take the Juke into town because of this, the parking camera in it is absolutely brilliant.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I've got the rear camera on the Captur. Could be the same one as is fitted to the Juke. As bol says it is brilliant when manoeuvring. Mine shows red cars as pink but I don't care enough to take it back for a repair

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Took a while to get used to, but I now go into spaces I wouldn't have tried before.It's not just front and rear view, it does a virtual overhead view.
You can also switch to a view that shows if your wheels are close to the kerb.
Never seen a Captur one to compare.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Unless my rear camera has settings that I know nothing about it is just the one with the rear view and the coloured lines for lining up the kerb position. It isnt part of the R-link set up, I had it as an optional extra to the media S Nav. Because of this I have no info about it, or if there is a "settings" menu for it. Sounds like the Juke camera is very good

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi grumpy crdi
I'm looking at a rear cam on my Captur, may I asked what the optional cost was and where did they fit it. Cheers

·
Registered
890 Posts
Could you put a picture of your camera up grumpy. I'm thinking of fitting a blue tooth version , but can't get my head round how the camera is sited?

Or anyone else that has a rear parking camera?Edited by: Houstahousey

1 - 20 of 25 Posts