Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving at the weekend noticed a vibration through the steering wheel. Went to my local tyre place and the front wheel weights were out. Hopefully this will be a cure and it's not the dreaded vibration others have mentioned.
The Captur tends to be very light on every bump and uneven road surface. The road surfaces where I live are terrible at the moment, can't remember the last time I saw a smooth piece of tarmac. (Unless I drive it round my local Asda car park like a boy/girl racer
)
Just thought it odd that a brand new motor bought in March would have wheel weight issues?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Think I would have taken it back to Renault.
One of my main criticisms is the way it handles bumps, rough road and the dreaded speed humps. I'm not used to slowing down so much.
Yes, it is very odd that your balancing should be out, considering that it was bought in March.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes first thing I did was ring my local dealership, explained the vibration sensation. They said to take it to my local tyre place as they couldn't look at it for a few days, and I'd be charged anyway as it'd come under general wear and tear. I paid £27.00 for 4 wheels to be checked.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If the car has been driving ok and the vibration has only started recently it may just be a simple case that a factory fitted weight had detached itself. While many places clip the weights on to the rims it's becoming increasingly common for the weights to be stuck on. I noticed a weight lying on my garage floor some time back (off another car I own). It had just come unstuck. As long as the vibration has now disappeared that should be the end of it, if not.........Edited by: Perusal

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it was only this weekend when I thought I could feel this vibration, thought I was going mad at first. Have only drove it a short distance home from having tyre checked so will see how it goes. Must not get paranoid about vibrations....it's my first diesel and all my friends with diesels say they vibrate/rattle more than a petrol motor.

·
Super Moderator
2,687 Posts
The tyres aren't necessarily perfectly round when made. The expert advice is taht they are balancedwhen fitted new, then re-balanced after a couple of hundred miles.
It used to be the case that Michelins were considered to be the best for being round at all times and not needing much in the way of balance weights; not sure about now.
I'm just glad that the 17" tyres are almost certain to be Michelin, whereas I have seen quite a few different brands on the 16" wheels fitted to Expression and Expression+ models (in the UK)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts