Renault Captur Forums banner

whine

10K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  bol d'or 
#1 ·
has anybody noticed a horrible whine noise when in third gear.my partner said today that in third gear there is a whine coming from the gearbox.it only occurs in third gear.i then went and drove the car and there is a distinct whining noise in third.it does not happen in rest of gears.its a medianav i.5 diesel only got it in early feb.

See less See more
#6 ·
The gear box has a problem. For example I sense in the gearbox lever the things that I do with my acceleration pedal. If the car accelerate, the lever moves backward on its own for a fewmillimeters. If I take the foot off, the lever moves in front. With none of my other cars I have everencountered such a problem. It feels like the gearbox is not properly fixed on its place! Is not the end of the world but isannoying.I think if it is to be a fault, I still have 4 years of warranty. In 4 years, if this is a fault, it should crack:)

#7 ·
I now seem to be getting this horrible whineing noise in second and fourth now as well as third.looks like a visit to the dealer again.what a load of sxxt.we all know each other on first names.

#9 ·
Keep us posted! Mine has a noise but when the service chaps took it for a spin, he just said it was a normal diesel 1.5 engine noise. I'm still not convinced. Mine happens in third gear when upping the revs to change into fourth, sounds like the engine is protesting. My diesel is far louder than my husbands 1.9 diesel vectra through the gear changes.
Someone else on here had a noise and theirs was a loose breather hose. (Think that's what they said)

#10 ·
Norfolkgirl said:
Keep us posted! Mine has a noise but when the service chaps took it for a spin, he just said it was a normal diesel 1.5 engine noise. I'm still not convinced. Mine happens in third gear when upping the revs to change into fourth, sounds like the engine is protesting. My diesel is far louder than my husbands 1.9 diesel vectra through the gear changes.
Someone else on here had a noise and theirs was a loose breather hose. (Think that's what they said)
Really sorry to hear your having a problem with your car
Have they resolved it for you ?

#18 ·
well took the car in yesterday they had it all day yesterday and most of today.they could not find a fault so theygot in touch with Renault who said it was transmission noise.so if it is what Renault say why did it not do it when I first had the car and did not hear it for the first 3 months plus if it does it in 3rd gear why not the rest.the engineer took it out twice to road test it but did not do what I told him to do.so it will be going back next week until they sort it.and they can give me a curtesy car.also I will ask if the engineer that tested itwill come out with me and I will show him what I mean.

#21 ·
well the saga continues took the car back today and took the head mechanic out for a drive to let him listen to the noise.he acknowledge there was a whine when I showed him when it showed up.now booked in again next Tuesday for round two.keep you posted how I get on.

#22 ·
to continue took the car back today said they have been trying to find the fault and they will keep it overnight and the manager will test drive it tomoz.he will also take the same model out as mine and see if there is any difference.i have already taken the head mechanic and he admits to hearing the whine in 3 gear.dont know much what else I can do.seem reluctant to investigate gearbox.to much work I suppose.?????

#23 ·
well update the dealer phoned today to say the manager took my car and two other cars the same out today and got the same whine in 3 rd gear in all of them.i went back and took out 2 cars with the manager and both both cars had same noise was told it is probably the engineering of the gearbox.???? don't know where to go from here.they said it probably a trait in the capturs gearbox production.make of that what you will.????

#24 ·
Has this put your mind at rest? Or are you still niggled by the noise? I'm disappointed with the noise mine makes, been told it's normal 1.5 dci noise and nothing wrong by a engineer who drove it while I sat in the passenger side. Luckily I have a 12 year old daughter who likes being DJ with the music, so it gets drowned out by Fall Out Boy...(trying to lighten the mood) :)

#25 ·
it has not put my mind at rest but when I took the other 2 diesels out the noise was there so I suppose I have got to live with it.i shall see how it goes if not satisfied it will go back.i can assure you of that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.