Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All

We are thinking about purchasing a second set of alloys with winter tyres and have 2 questions.

1) Does the Dynamique S MediaNav have tyre pressure warning facility?

2) If Dynamique S MediaNav does have the tyre pressue warning facility how will this work if you have a second set of alloys? Will Renault have to link the alloys with the Car or can any garage do this?

Any advice with this will be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
2,382 Posts
From what I recall reading, you can set the tyre pressures on the system yourself - the value has to be reset anyway when you go, for example, from normal town driving to motorway runs with a full load.

There is some debate about whether or not early build cars do actually have the tyre pressure monitoring system built-in. Later cars do not appear to have this, although the warning light is still present on the dashboard

·
Registered
924 Posts
There is a thread regarding TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system). I ordered a car from a brochure that stated the TPMS was standard across the range of Capturs. Later brochures do not mention TPMS. So I asked my dealer to run a detailed technical description of my car. I can categorically say my car does NOT have the TPMS.
Whilst it is rather a leap, I suspect that no capturs in the UK have this system, given the evidence. My dealer seems to think that the TMPS was dropped on UK production carsprior to their UK release.

If you are unsure, ask your dealer to perform a detailed technicaldescription. That will give you the definitive answer.

The handbook does talk about the TPMS, and how to reset it using the end button on the right hand stalk; the trip computer set button. But unless it appears on the set up (reset) system on the trip computer display on the dashboard, your carwill not have it.

Therefore there is no need to worry about winter tyres having to have a valve sender which would be necessary on cars with TMPS.

Someone on that thread also noted that whilst it is not part of the MOT to have a TMPS, if a car is fitted with it, then it must work in order to pass the MOT.

All this is of course is not definitive, but advice based upon my personal experience and that of others on this forum.

I hope this is of help.

Regards

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
924 Posts
Ythsie, one of our most active and informative members of this forum, has had winter tyres.
However, he lives in Poland, so whilst his experience is useful, his situation will differ from that of the UK. Having said that, he hails from Bonnie Scotland. Therefore he will know about fitting and using winter tyres, and the appropriatenessof their use in the UK.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ivoretower and crossbow thank you for your responses. Will ask dealer about TPMS. Sort of glad it doesn't have it so i can change wheels and or tyres each year without worry.

Look forward to any response from Ythsie or any other captur driver who has winter tyres

From what i have researched it is the temperature which has a impact on the rubber compound on tyres. I know we don't have much snow but our temperature over winter does drop below 7 and if the captur can grip and stop better than all the better. Only worry is the car behind wont have them.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi....and thanks for the kind write up!!
I bought a set of 'winter wheels' which include the tyres. My reasoning was that I wanted to keep my Renault alloys pristine. I actually bought the wheels from the Renault dealer who sourced them for me, but my advice to you would be to shop around and buy them in the summer months when they will be cheaper in the UK. Lots of mail order firms to choose from and local firms. Don't bother doimg it through Renault unless you wamt their alloy wheels as a spare. They are not cheap, hence I went for a good, inexpensive alloy from Germany....a set of steel wheels are similar in price and do the trick.
I also went for 16's as it cut costs down, although of course it brings the ride height down a little. My car is usually on 17's which have just gone back on.
My car does not seem to have the tyre monitoring system...or at least we have not used it at all!
Advice to anyone using/buying winter tyres is that they only begin to work at -5°C/-6°C
and I have to warn you that with most wimter tyres the braking distances are LONGER unless that temperature is reached.
In terms of any snow and ice conditions the difference is great!! Here in Poland I wouldn't be without them...and when I lived in Scotland I fitted them to my Volvo S70 auto and you could travel safely in most conditions.
So to cut this topic short...Yes to winter tyres at the right time, and they may only be on for a short time in the UK, but you are certainly safer with them...but whip them off as quickly as you can omce the winter temperatures and snow have passed!.

·
Registered
168 Posts
<!--if gte mso 9>
<o:OfficeSettings>
<o:AllowPNG/>
</o:OfficeSettings>
<!-->

Using 16" wheels shouldn't bring
the ride height down at all, you should be using a tyre with a higher profile
to make the rolling radius match.

I'm a firm believer in winter tyres on 2 wheel drive cars, although I have to
admit that I don't run them on my 4X4. My daughters car and my wife previous
Modus both have spare wheels with Winter tyres, the change in wet weather traction
levels and braking are phenomenal at temperatures below 7°C. Having said all that the Captur is a lot
better equipped than the Modus that had no TC or ABS

<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:TrackMoves/>
<w:Trackatting/>
<w:punctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:DonotPromoteQF/>
<w:LidThemeOther>EN-GB</w:LidThemeOther>
<w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian>
<w:LidThemeComplex>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplex>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
<w:SplitPgBreakAndark/>
<w:EnableKerning/>
<w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/>
<w:OverrideTableStyleHps/>
</w:Compatibility>
<m:mathPr>
<m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/>
<m:brkBin m:val="before"/>
<m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/>
<m:smallFrac m:val="off"/>
<m:dispDef/>
<m:lMargin m:val="0"/>
<m:rMargin m:val="0"/>
<m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/>
<m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/>
<m:intLim m:val="subSup"/>
<m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/>
</m:mathPr></w:Word>
<!--><!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemi="true" DefQat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267">
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Normal"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="ing 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 7"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 8"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 9"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" Qat="true" Name="caption"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Title"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Subtitle"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Strong"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Emphasis"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="No Spacing"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Quote"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Book Title"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Qat="true" Name="TOC ing"/>
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Cambria","serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

<!-->

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice Ythsie about getting the tyres we will be getting some winter tyres an in the summer as they will be cheaper. Prof pat Pending did/are the spare alloys you have original equipment or aftermarket. I'm worried if we use aftermarket alloys then the insurance company wont pay up if we have an accident or if we tell them hike the premium up.
Agree with Prof Pat Pending re the height as the tyre section height will compensate for the difference between 16 and 17 inch wheels.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've always used steel wheels and hub caps for winter. Wheels don't really matter for insurance. Some like to know you have swapped to winter tyres, but an increasing amount now say that they don't need to know as along as the tyre is the correct size/load/speed rating.

I always use OEM wheels, but source them second hand. Keep an eye on ebay for the wheels, you'll be amazed what comes up as people upgrade or change the look of their car. New OEM alloys come up from time to time, get them one at a time and only pay the full dealer price if you really have to

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I didn't know that the road height doesn't alter with the different wheels!...interesting... I must have imagined a difference when getting in...as I swear that it is easier on the summer 17s!! LOL!!
I agree with the Prof on getting second hand wheels...For the time you will use them in the UK, it's not worth forking out a fortune..
I did consider steel rims, but after research, there was little difference in every respect, as long as you choose an easy wheel to clean. Looks are important, but practicality even more so.
As far as I insurance is concerned...they don't need to know unless you buy some larger non standard size wheels..I investigated that point when I bought the car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I only really chose steel rims as there is usually a good supply on ebay and alike as people upgrade from steel to alloy wheels. I bought 4 wheels for the Modus with hubcaps and 2 almost new summer tyres for £29
and a set for my daugters Punto for £11
As it gets close to winter, the price of these usually rockets as people start the think about fitting winter tyres

Might be useful to someone
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17-NEW-alloy-wheel-Renault-Capture-/141241200174?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item20e2a1ae2e

Edited by: Prof Pat Pending

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been watching the wheel all week as with all things on ebay will rocket up in the last few minutes. Thank you all for your advice. I think i will be getting a set of OEM 16" alloys as these are half the price of the 17" same goes for the winter tyres.

But if any one has upgraded and is thinking of selling there OEM alloys please let me know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi; living in Sweden, we will be needing winter tyres when the season comes, preferably studded ones.

1) If we buy new rims, how can we find out that they will fit on to the car?

2) Since we don't care for looks or anything, we can get standard ugly steel ones. Also, we would prefer smaller tyre dimensions, for lower cost and for lower fuel consumption. I'm thinking 185 wide -- or less, if possible (instead of our Dynamique's summer 205s), and the smallest diameter possible. Can we fit, for example 14" or 15"” rims?

3) However, since diameter on the standard fitted alloys is 17"” and their profile is 55; what profile do we need to match the circumference of the tyres fitted as standard, if using, say, 15" winter rims? We want the same ”total size” since mileage will seem to increase if we fit wheels smaller than the ones now fitted; and our car is privately leased, meaning every mile counts for us. Since we will return the car to the dealer when it's old (after three years) we try not to spend unnecessary money on it. Thanks!

Edited by: milletusenpussar

·
Super Moderator
2,382 Posts
For the speedometer to work correctly, and for the miles/kilometres recorded to be accurate, the rolling circumference of the tyre must stay the same. If you fit smaller wheels, you need a higher profile tyre (larger sidewalls). I cannot remember the formula but I think it's 2 numbers of tyre size to 1 inch of wheelsize, 16 inch 65-profile same as 17 inch 45-profile. If I am wrong, I hope someone corrects me quickly !

EDIT: The other consideration of fitting:
the circumference or diameter of the circle on which the fixing bolts/holes are located, and the offset of the plane that bolts onto the hub from the outer face of the wheel rim itself... you also need to make sure that there are the correct number of holes for wheelbolts

Edited by: IvorETower

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sir, thank you so much! ...

IvorETower said:
..... I cannot remember the formula but I think it's 2 numbers of tyre size to 1 inch of wheelsize, 16 inch 65-profile same as 17 inch 45-profile....
The key word here is "formula", I think, which made me look for an automatic online calculator, and I found a good one, with a guide (on a Swedish site), so now I know what dimensions are theoretically suitable.

...the circumference or diameter of the circle on which the fixing bolts/holes are located, and the offset of the plane that bolts onto the hub from the outer face of the wheel rim itself... you also need to make sure that there are the correct number of holes for wheelbolts
Yes, I see...this means I really have to check with alloy and tyre dealers, rather than just ordering a set online. Online sites here usually specify number of bolts, but not offsets, and they have few order form choices for the Captur, it seems. Not even an easy thing like this is DIY for me. But now at least I can ask them the right questions. Thank you!

EDIT: The U.K. Driftworks site specifies wheel spacer sizes for plane offsets. Nevertheless, this is getting complicated.

Edited by: milletusenpussar

·
Super Moderator
2,382 Posts
....and you need to make sure that they clear the brake callipers on the front wheels, if you fit non-genuine Renault steel wheels

1 - 18 of 18 Posts