Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night on way home from work in the usual rain. My wipers had no control were on auto but would not stop or increase in speed. Stopped and turned ignition off,tuned back on and everything was ok. Hopefully a one off but wil keep an eye on them before running to dealers. Anyone else had problems?

·
Registered
45 Posts
tuckerz, iv e had lots of renaults in the past and everyone of them that had the auto wipe function had a blip now and then, like wipers operating in glorious sunshine ,or quickening up to fast wipe. It s just something ive got used to. Mine sometimes turns on when it s dry . But i dont think its worth taking back , i ll live with it! malcaptur.

·
Registered
824 Posts
One thing I would have liked to keep from my old car was a rotational speed control on the intermittent wipe.......the Captur has a sensor control which to me doesn't seem to work as conveniently or as well as my old car.........sometimes its hard to find the perfect wiper speed or timing.My old car didnt have auto wipers so cant have it all

Can live with it though!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi all,WIPER FAILURE 60mph in blinding rain "NOT" funny managed to finally operate the wash/wipe function to allow me to stop safely, and as previously mentioned an ignition off reset restored correct operation.
Mentioned to my dealer workshop foreman who did inform me at least one other customer had reported similar problem. He promised to report back after contact with Renault.
Serious problem as I would not want my wife to experience same.
Mow many more owners have had wiper faults like this.
Regards
Barry

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've not had this on my Captur (yet), but my 2004 Scenic Privilege suffered wiper malfunctions all its life until the Captur replaced it.
Wipe speeds varying randomly, and the worst fault, stopping dead in the middle of the screen in the outside lane on the motorway in torrential rain. The only 'fix' was to pull over and perform a restart.
Nothing ever showed up in the fault log, and the dealers were unable to reproduce it.
I wondered if it might have been caused by external radio frequecy signals 'getting in' to the CAN bus - possibly powerful radio/TV transmitters, or even radars near the road. Certainly on one part of the A303 it could be virtually guaranteed to happen.
However my 2010 Megane CC has never suffered this - maybe better screening?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I find if you switch back to manual and then to auto it sorts itself out. The judder across the screen has been the worst thing for me though.

·
Registered
863 Posts
still trying to get the hang of mine my focus was a doddle regarding wipers.but set mine to auto nothing happens then they go scatty ???.weird lol

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had the judder problem and lived with it. Just done a 380 mile round trip and it rain most of the time. From fine mist to heavy down pours. The judder seems fine now so they probably just needed to be bedded in. Still a little judder with light rain but I can live with that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can live with it until you crash!
. It takes a fraction of a second of not being focused on the road to have a crash. This is how I've lost my other car - one fraction of a second longer in the rear mirror to check if my son had the belt on. Fortunately, he had.

Imagine yourself in a rain and a lorry passes by and throw water on your windscreen and your wipers aren't working and you don't know that. Trust me, it takes more than a fraction of a second until you realize whathappenand what measures to take. In the mean time, the car in front hits the break or the stop light turns red...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi ya, Your problem with judder is sometimes to do with a greasy windscreen or blades try cleaning both with a good detergent. If the judder only occurs in one direction it can be the wiper arm is not sitting at right angles to the screen we used to bend the arm with pliers so it sits square. Hope this helps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts