Renault Captur Forums banner

Would-be Could-be owner

5K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Thewhiteball 
#1 ·
I have ordered a Captur but I am very concerned about its reliability. From what is written on the forum it seems that there are many problems with it. I am considering cancelling the order.

Would you who have reported problems still buy a Captur if you were considering one now?

#2 ·
Don't be too perturbed by what you read on here. Like many forums they do tend to focus on highly positive or very negative views and experiences. By all means use these as a measure of concern regarding your purchase, but generally use these comments as guidelines. The number of Captur forum members does not really represent a substantial body of Captur owners out there.
I am well satisfied with mine. The dealer was great, no fuel gauge problems, fuel consumption is in line with a new car, paint finish is good, Satnav works fine.

Edited by: crossbow

#3 ·
Welcome JAF
First point I would say is that the Captur is a lovely car and if I was buying again yes I would buy mine again.........I had never had a Renault,I didnt know anyone who had owned a Renault,what I did know via a lot of internet browsing is that some Renault models can have problems and generally don't do well on consumer reviews for reliability.........yet even this didn't stop from from buying a Renault!
In my view the weak point of owning a Renault can be the dealer attitudes and approach to looking after their customers,some are quite appalling....... this was my worry when placing my order not that I was going to buy an unreliable car!
Sometimes car based forums can read very badly..... what you don't see is the thousands of owners who have had no problems whatsoever who never go near a forum.
I have enjoyed reading on here of peoples experiences and build up to collection day in my opinion the Captur will give far more pleasure than pain........time alone will tell us all that!

Enjoy!

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

My main problem is that my present car - 2001 Toyota Yaris Verso - has had not one single thing wrong with it since I bought it 13 years ago. I love it. But I think newer cars are safer, and my son is urging me to change for that reason.

I am wary of Renault because of what I have heard about reliability.

The car has been available here in Israel for only one month, so I have to rely on owners' experience in other countries. How long has it been out in England?

#5 ·
Hey JAF. Like Eddy said a lot of people can be biased with what they write depending on their personal experience. A bad experience will encourage a person to tell others as a warning. But to be honest Id say there isn't a whole lot of major problems judging by the posts.And again Eddy was spot on with the main problem in the UK being the dealers lack of customer service more than anything. So far ive read about a couple of medianav issues, a couple fuel gauge issues that resolved themselves and some minor rattles. Personally the positive comments way outnumber the bad, but with cars there's always going to be minor niggles. Just out of interest which issues have you read that your most concerned about? Edited by: Cj86

#6 ·
I now see why you are debating the choice.....after 13 years reliabilty anyone would be the same!

In the UK the Captur has been able to be ordered from April 2013......quite lengthy waiting times have been quoted probably determined by optional extras on the order.Mine was from stock 2 weeks from order to collection as it was already in UK........I find it a lovely car to drive and very pleased with my purchase.......I think this is the only Captur Forum so not much in the way of feedback as yet.........last quoted Captur sales as delivered I heard was @300 mark so not many owners as yet to glean information from.
I would ensure your dealer in Israel will look after you to settle your mind a bit should anything go wrong for you!

#7 ·
Nothing specific. It's just the rumors (rumours) about Renault that I've heard. Actually the reviews that I've read and seen on YouTube are good. The things that bother the reviewers (too soft, too hard, not enough power, too much noise, not enough noise, etc.)don't bother me, especially after driving my current car for so long.

The Captur is a beautiful car and just the right size for me. I like to sit high, and that pretty much means crossover. Most of the others are much too big.

#8 ·
I had the following cars from new.A Clio for 3 years, A mk3 Espace for 3 years, a mk4 Espace for 3 years and a Megane for 7 years. In that time I had only one cause for a warranty claim (on the Mk3 Espace - Clutch problem). This was settled by my dealer without question.

I have no complaints, only complements.

#9 ·
I think you may be worried after hearing about individual preferences as opposed to vehicle faults. I found seats in Juke more comfortable than the ones in Captur but that is not to say that Captur seats are bad just different. I love my Captur, it is lovely to drive, economical, comfortable and a stunner to look at.Faults? I have not felt that anyone here said they would not have purchased it for whatever reason.
Anyway, there are only two things in life that I would not change - husband and dog (did I just say that!!??), everything else can be replaced if it does not satisfy.

#10 ·
Hi Jaf, welcome to the forum. Like crossbow I to have had a few renaults. Maybe I've been lucky but have never had any
Problems with them.
One of the reasons I'm still sticking with them and getting the captur, one other being I've been very happy with the dealership I buy from. These days a lot of people look for forums if they have a problem to pick people's brains.
As we all know sometimes things do go wrong but that's where a good dealership helps you and makes things less painful.

#11 ·
Hi Jaf and welcome. I think if you take all the posts and comments on this forum the positive remarks would far outweigh the negative. Yes, there are negative comments however they tend to be with delays when ordering and unhelpful dealers, there are very few negative comments about the car itself.

This is the first Renault I have owned, yes I did my research and the only negative comment I came across was reliability. The fact that the my Captur came with 4 years breakdown cover and 4 years servicing put my mind at ease.

I have had the car now for 5 weeks and would highly recommend it.

#12 ·
JJAF....Helped my daughter buy a Yaris as her first car and she loved it for many years for its reliability.

This year I decided ti buy my first new car...and chose to buy the Captur.

We have loved it so far and wouldn't fault it!

I agree with the majority of members that it will serve you well!

#14 ·
I,ve swapped from a 150bhp Fiat Bravo 1.9multijet, it went like s*it of a shovel and did 50mpg. My new 1.5dci is most definitely not under powered and does a further 11mpg. As most owners will tell you the Captur is a very refined drive and I for one am well impressed with its technology and its capability.

#15 ·
Thewhiteball...we'll have less of the 's*** off a shovel' here....we're Captur owners!!!...please...

Tell you something...I spent this weekend tracking down a Range Rover Sport for my son in Leipzig...and when I got in it ...I thought ' s*** this has less room than my Captur!'....I kid you not!!! Less space in the back..but the V8 does accelerate a 'tad' quicker!!

#16 ·
Hi JAF
Our comments here reflects what we find in our new cars. Sometimes they are negative and mainly it concerns dealers. I drive renault cars for 23 years. No any serious problems. My Clio is 11 years old and never has failed on the road. I like it. I was looking for new Clio but it disappointed me as it has limited options. My new Capture is exactly a car I need.
My complains here concerns only my dealer's lack of knowledge about R-link. The pacs were not activated, I had to find out how to set up e-mail, etc. Even technical section in renault HQ did not respond to my request about the specification of this system. It is however not about a car - this one I find very smart, comfortable and nice. It is a pleasure to drive it. We exchange the information here - sometime also about problems we explore - just to help each other. Generally great majority of us here loves Capture. So don't worry.

#17 ·
I'm ordering an orange/black dynamique medianav s tce 90
tomorrow for delivery at the end of the week. I have spent the past few days giving myself mega headaches worrying about whether to get this or another Juke (I love my Juke .. sorry folks), but I have decided this is a better deal, lovely looking car and I am ready for a change. Just crossing everything that it will be the right choice. :)

#18 ·
Bluejay said:
I'm ordering an orange/black dynamique medianav s tce 90
tomorrow for delivery at the end of the week. I have spent the past few days giving myself mega headaches worrying about whether to get this or another Juke (I love my Juke .. sorry folks), but I have decided this is a better deal, lovely looking car and I am ready for a change. Just crossing everything that it will be the right choice. :)
I had diesel Juke Tekna for two years and loved it. The space in the back got to me in the end and got myself diesel Captur with all the trimmings in black with Arizona roof etc. Love it and would be surprised if you are disappointed.

#19 ·
In all the consumer reviews of cars in its class (Pug 2008 - Juke - Captur)The Captur always comes out on top. mabe not for everything but overall it beats them all

#22 ·
HiThewhiteballi also swappe a Fiat bravo 1,4 150 hp to a 0,9 90hp captur but i am still waiting for my captur.
i hope i can live whit the smaller engine :)
But love Fiat too, but it likeservice station too, and it whas 6 years old.

#23 ·
Well I swapped from the 1.9 Deisel 150Bhp Bravo to the 1.5 Deisel 90Bhp Captur and have found the Captur to be a very pleasant drive. Hav'nt noticed any lack of power as such as I allways considered the Bravo engine too big and heavy for the size of the car. The design and dynamics of the Captur are a much better balance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.