·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WRONG SORT OF WEATHER AGAIN?

In the news yesterday

Food prices could go up says the UK farmers due to the good weather,
In past years food prices to go up because of bad weather

WHY DON’T THEY JUST SAY FOOD TO GO UP BECAUSE WE CANNOT COPE.

Farmers you have to love them.

·
Registered
452 Posts
You have to have some sympathy for UK farmers,many couldn't get this years crops planted because the fields were swamps due to the rain. Now things are planted the soil is so dry due to lack of rain,crops are struggling. Dairy farmers are having to chuck milk down the drain due to lack of demand. I bet milk is still being imported from Eastern Europe though.
Lambs are growing nicely in the sunshine but,when they are sold the farmer barely gets for a whole lamb what supermarkets charge for a leg. Many are contracted to supermarkets and are told what they will be paid for their produce,much of it will have to be dumped because it is the wrong shape,too big or too small and the customers "don't want imperfect fruit/veg". Did the supermarkets never think to ask the customers? The trials and tribulations that UK farmers face are many fold,I for one,have a huge respect for them.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could not get milk for two weeks in the beginning. I will have some sympathy may be this year.
but a few years ago in wales with the lambs, they were killing, burning, and burying them, not selling them cheap.

It's a mixed view from me

·
Registered
452 Posts
Killing,burning and burying lambs,not selling them cheap makes no sense. Better to get £1 for something you are selling than nothing. I see there was the possibility that Welsh lambs would have to be culled last year as a no deal Brexit would mean no market for them. Don't know how that turned out. Farming acquaintances tell me a lot of lamb produced in the UK goes to Europe. Too bloody expensive in supermarkets here,saw two UK produced lamb chops in Sainsburys last year,pack price? £8!!!! FFS,£8 for two lamb chops.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts